Light up your life with Aurora
iFi’s new wireless music system, the Aurora, brings together a unique collection of proprietary technologies to deliver a sonic experience unlike any other table-top, all-in-one system.
Clad in bamboo and elevated by a distinctive aluminum frame, Aurora?s design is striking. The aesthetic was created by French product designer Julian Haziza, inspired by the architecture in Tokyo?s Omotesand? and Harajuku districts. Six drive units nestle behind the bamboo fins that curve around Aurora?s sides, with a further two bass radiators underneath. The system?s control panel sits front and center, with touch-sensitive controls and an OLED display inlaid with bamboo.
The Aurora?s name is inspired by its sound. It delivers a remarkably expansive soundstage, tailored to the space in which it sits. It fills the room with sound as the Aurora Borealis fills the sky with light, electrifying your music and immersing you in the performance of your favorite artists.
- The Aurora connects to your home network quickly and easily via push-button WPS set-up. Stream music from your favorite app or play audio files from your computer or NAS.
- Use the superior Bluetooth implementation to stream directly from any smart device. The latest high-quality codecs are supported including Qualcomm?s aptX Adaptive and aptX HD, Sony?s LDAC and Huawei?s HWA as well as aptX and aptX Low Latency, AAC, and SBC.
- Play hi-res audio up to 32-bit/192kHz without conversion or down-sampling via WiFi, Bluetooth, or Ethernet cable.
- Control the Aurora via the MUZO Player app ? or any UPnP/DLNA streaming app. Airplay and Spotify Connect are also supported.
- Link several Auroras together on your Wi-Fi network to create a seamless multi-room system.
- The Aurora uses ART ? Automatic Room Tailoring. This is a ‘room correction’ system so that it adapts to wherever it is placed and always performs at its best.
- Optical, coaxial, USB and Ethernet inputs cater for digital sources, while a 3.5mm socket provides an analog input. You can also upload music onto a micro SDHC card and play it on the Aurora.
- Link to Alexa via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth using any Echo speaker.
A design statement
The Aurora was featured in a recent issue of Esquire and will soon be in Wallpaper, the world?s number one global design magazine.
The Aurora uses Bluetooth5.0 ? the very latest version with the newest Qualcomm 5100 series chipset. It also incorporates the super smooth ESS sabre DAC chip. All the latest 24-bit-capable Bluetooth audio formats are supported, including Qualcomm?s aptX Adaptive and aptX HD, Sony?s LDAC, and Huawei?s HWA. Other codecs covered include regular aptX and aptX Low Latency, AAC, and SBC. This means that every possible source device is covered, at the highest resolution it’s Bluetooth audio specification will allow.
Wireless signal processing
As with all iFi’s implementations, they like to push everything to be the best it can be. This includes the wireless signal processing inside the Aurora. It combines quality components and state-of-the-art engineering to ensure Aurora performs to the best of its abilities at all times.
At Aurora?s heart lies proprietary amp technology that we call ‘PureEmotion’ ? a hybrid circuit design comprising several key stages. It incorporates classic valve-based pre-amplification and advanced solid-state power amplification with ultra-fast switching. This ingenious fusion of amp technologies enables a sound combining the purity of tone with a high level of engagement, speed, and dynamic gusto, capturing the emotive quality of music in full effect.
ART (Automatic Room Tailoring)
The Aurora incorporates a ‘room correction’ system called ART (Automatic Room Tailoring). At the press of a button, six ultrasonic sensors measure the distance to the surrounding walls using ultrasound. Then, a 32-bit ARM Cortex microprocessor adjusts the output from the driver array to precisely tailor Aurora?s performance. Wherever the Aurora is placed ? in a large room or a smaller one, in a corner, against a wall, or in free space ? it always performs at its best.
Aurora?s custom-made driver array combines with the SoundSpace matrix, which adjusts the output from specific drivers at certain frequencies. SoundSpace is fundamental to Aurora?s immersive, room-filling performance, enabling the soundstage to extend beyond the confines of the cabinet with expansive width, height, and depth. This gives the music a palpable sense of scale and space you simply wouldn?t expect from an all-in-one music system.
The TrueBass system, incorporating the two downward-firing bass radiators, ensures the Aurora delivers genuine bass with realistic depth and definition. Dual-level depth control means you can adjust the bass response according to taste ? down to a deeply impressive 27Hz ? so that everything from timpani to a bass guitar, to an electronic bass line is conveyed with power and poise. All of the above technologies operate entirely in the analog domain to ensure maximum fidelity, without resorting to DSP (Digital Signal Processing) which can have an adverse effect on the purity and resolution of sound.